HomeASIAIsrael Sets To Accelerate Gun Applications After 2-Day Jerusalem Shooting

Israel Sets To Accelerate Gun Applications After 2-Day Jerusalem Shooting

Published on

-Advertisement-

Guns may soon become a common commodity even among ordinary Israeli folks in Israel, following the country’s security cabinet’s approval of measures to make it easier for Israelis to carry guns.

Those measures come in the wake of two separate attacks by Palestinians in Jerusalem over the past two days.

The attacks took place after an Israeli army raid in the occupied West Bank killed nine people.

The new measures also include depriving an attacker’s family members of residency and social security rights.

The full cabinet is due to consider the measures on Sunday, according to the BBC.

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu had promised a “strong” and “swift” response ahead of the security cabinet meeting.

Israel’s army also said that it would be reinforcing troop numbers in the occupied West Bank.

“When civilians have guns, they can defend themselves,” the controversial far-right National Security Minister, Itamar Ben-Gvir, told reporters outside a Jerusalem hospital.

The measures will revoke the rights to social security of “the families of terrorists that support terrorism”, the security cabinet said.

The proposals are in step with proposals from Mr. Netanyahu’s far-right political allies, who allowed him to return to power last month.

The announcement came after Israeli police said a 13-year-old Palestinian boy was behind a shooting in Jerusalem’s Silwan neighbourhood on Saturday that left an Israeli father and son seriously wounded.

An Israeli police force spokesperson previously said that the assailant ambushed five people as they made their way to prayers, leaving two in a “critical condition”.

The 13-year-old was shot and injured by passers-by and is being held in hospital.

In a separate shooting on Friday at a synagogue in East Jerusalem, seven people were killed and at least three more injured as they gathered for prayers at the start of the Jewish Sabbath.

The gunman was shot dead at the scene.

The man behind Friday’s synagogue attack was identified by local media as a Palestinian from East Jerusalem.

Police have arrested 42 people in connection with that attack.

Israeli police commissioner Kobi Shabtai called it “one of the worst attacks we have encountered in recent years”.

Palestinian militant groups praised the attack but did not say one of their members was responsible.

Mr. Netanyahu called for calm and urged citizens to allow security forces to carry out their tasks, while the military said additional troops would be deployed in the occupied West Bank.

“I call again on all Israelis – don’t take the law into your hands,” Netanyahu said.

He thanked several world leaders – including United States President Joe Biden – for their support.

Tensions have been high since nine Palestinians – both militants and civilians – were killed during an Israeli military raid in Jenin in the occupied West Bank on Thursday.

This was followed by rocket fire into Israel from Gaza, which Israel responded to with air strikes.

-All Rights Reserved-
Permission to use any material, including text, still photograph, audio and video from this site is granted subject to permission being formally sought and, if granted, appropriate credit must duly be given to The News Room as the source.

Latest articles

Remmy Nweke has joined the NIRA BoT

Mr. Remmy Nweke, Lead Consulting Strategist and Group Executive Editor of ITREALMS Media Group,...

Ten faces behind Nigeria’s expanding fashion footprint

Despite a difficult business environment, Nigeria has generated designers and entrepreneurs who are helping to put the country on the map.

May Day: It is ‘wickedness’ for the government to owe workers and pensioners – PDP chieftain

Dotun Babayemi, a Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) chairman in Osun, has asked for increased benefit packages for workers in order to incentivize them to perform best.

UFC to host first African fight in Senegal, ignores Nigeria over lack of infrastructure

Due to a lack of infrastructure, the Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC), an American mixed martial arts (MMA) promotion, has passed up Nigeria as the likely first African country to host a combat event, with Senegal emerging as the leader to hold what would be a historic event.

More like this

Remmy Nweke has joined the NIRA BoT

Mr. Remmy Nweke, Lead Consulting Strategist and Group Executive Editor of ITREALMS Media Group,...

Ten faces behind Nigeria’s expanding fashion footprint

Despite a difficult business environment, Nigeria has generated designers and entrepreneurs who are helping to put the country on the map.

May Day: It is ‘wickedness’ for the government to owe workers and pensioners – PDP chieftain

Dotun Babayemi, a Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) chairman in Osun, has asked for increased benefit packages for workers in order to incentivize them to perform best.